Council History

The Allen County Council of Veterans Organizations was first started in 1945 by
a group of veterans headed by Frank L. Barnett, Albert N. Smith, Corley L. Crouch, Art Wilkie,
Henry Radke and a few others. The first by-laws were ratified by the member organizations and
put into effect in May of 1945.

The Charter Members of the Council were :

  • Henry W. Lawton Encampment #35, United Spanish-American War Veterans
  • American Legions:
    • Fort Wayne Post 47
    • Lincoln Post 82
    • Charles E. Anderson Post 148
    • New Haven Post 330
  • Jim Eby Post 857, Veterans of Foreign Wars
  • Elmer Pond Chapter 1, Disabled American Veterans
  • Ship No. 48, Fort Wayne Navy Club
  • Marine Corps League, Fort Wayne Detachment